http://freeafricatrip.com/?fbid=v5IirJtWtjF lamb alive: Church and "state"?



 

lamb alive

It's really all about JESUS. I'm going to make every effort to wave HIS flag here, not mine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Church and "state"?

Here is a response I wrote to only the mention of the issue of church and state, it is one side of the issue as seen from "Mt. David Severy". LOL, but seriously I write and think like this, and long for those who would cheerfully respond, not to debate, but to dialog, and move toward knowing God's heart and will together.

Re: separation of church and state: What would George Washington have done? Would he (George Washington) have told the nation to clean up TV and the Internet? Or would he have told us to put them out of our homes?

Didn't God first call Abraham, separating him out of his pagan land and bring lead and join him in the Covenant of Promise? Didn't God call (separate) Israel out of Egypt? Didn't God from Samuel to Malachi continually call the children of Israel to faithfulness and away from their idolatry? Didn't God call "whosoever will" to separate himself from the world, flesh and the devil by faith in His Son and join himself to God and to His people? And having left the world behind, are christian people not called to continue to be separated from the world by the renewal of their mind according to the thoughts of the mind of Christ.?

Should we be surprised that there are many in the world, in our nation and even in our "churches" who don't desire the separation God calls men to that He might save them? I am not a zealot every moment myself. I am not every moment 100% faithful to God. Yet how much can we expect of the unsaved, of the pagan, of the enemies of God? Do we want also to conquer them as we do often try to conquer each other: denominationally, doctrinally, and even in the hypocrisy of our traditions? (I am guilty of my own part in this, too) Is there not enough to oppose in the heretics, and in the wolves who attack us?

I am not what I should be. God has made it clear to me that I have often imposed my views on others in the same unkind ways that others have done to me. Yet I continue to believe that if a christian will separate (sanctify and consecrate) himself to God, God will lead him in a way which will overcome the world and the flesh and the devil, and overcome the unloving, unkind ways we (I) often walk in toward each other. If the church were to do this believer by believer, rather than try to herd the whole world or nation into repentance and obedience (something it is itself not accomplished in fully), the results might astonish.

As it stands, the church is mocked, I fear, because of it's worldliness, it's compromise with the devil and it's lack of knowledge the will of God, not for any lack of knowledge of the will of the founding "fathers".

2 Corinthians 6:17 "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."

Matthew 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

I marvel at what the Anabaptist's have accomplished and maintained for several centuries. Not by trying to bend the world around them to the Ways of God, but by being willing to bend their own necks in His yoke. And they do this without participation in politics!

My POV? And I give it knowing all to well my own failures to live up to my own expectations, and to God's< Let the christian be faithful to God, and let the world do as it will. No man was ever influenced well by any lawgiver except God. It has been said that the civil authorities are a reflection of the desires of the populations they govern, yet we know that they bear the sword as God's ministers. Therefore shall the word of the Lord be effectual, which bids men and women of Christ's blood:

1 Timothy 2:2
1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;


John 18:36
36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight , that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered,
Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world , that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice .

Jesus had to go to the cross. The apostles found out they had to go to their crosses as well, and Jesus tells us all: unless we pick up our cross daily we are missing the call of God. We are not called out of the world to rebuild a temporal psuedo christian world where we are not persecuted. The blood of the Martyrs IS the seed of the church. The church miraculously grows fastest in times and places of great persecution. Has the devil has not effective in thwarting the growth of the church in America by loading it with material wealth, and by tempting the church to protect the national interest above it's christian need of holiness?

I don't want the last word, but will ask: didn't Jesus come that men should hear the truth and choose their king for the world to come, not to establish an earthly Kingdom presently, but to choose and be built by God into an eternal spiritual house? If so does this require the imposition of moral law on those who will reject it out of hand? I think it would be wonderful if the world would wake up, "straighten up and fly right". But will it ever come under conviction when we as christians chase after everything except God's holiness? The "founders" gave us a rupublic, God gave us a Kingdom and His Son our King. There is a difference.

Paul wrote:

1 Corinthians 3:10
10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.


To build upon this eternal foundation requires we ourselves become living stones. Not that we require others to be living stones, although Jesus did command the eleven to make disciples of all nations, but not to make all nations into disciples. The latter is certainly impossible. At the least it can only be accomplished by the former coming first. We are called to become like our master, and we cannot become greater. But to be like Jesus is to daily carry our cross. After all Jesus picked up His Cross sometime ago, for it is written :

Revelation 13:8 ...all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world.

Again, I have to remind myself of my own moral failures, and great need to walk what I talk. If I don't give attention to my own repentance, I risk becoming the very thing that Jesus seemed to hate the most: an hypocrite. But I can't escape the "feeling" that the evangelical arm of Christ's body it the USA needs to hold itself to account before it hold's the unbeliever's feet to the fire. This is what I am trying desperately to do in my own life, by holding myself accountable to God, and repenting. Don't we need to make some sacrifices? Wouldn't turning off TV and Internet, or turning them out of our homes be wisdom? I have no TV at home. I recently got a computer, and am already wondering how big a mistake it may have been! We are barely able, by all accounts, to promote 10% of our children into their adult lives committed to Him. Shall we tame the devil and have our children be saved? Our neighbor? Our enemies? Or shall we flee fornication and idolatry, and humble ourselves before God? Fornication and idolatry are the mainstay of TV, Cinema, and online entertainment. The devil shall never be tamed, but he may be overcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home